The museum of Russia’s most famous poet Alexander Pushkin is located in the building of the former Hotel du Nord. In the early 19th century, the influential Odesan merchant Sharl Sikar owned the building. It was this hotel that Pushkin stayed in when he came to southern Palmira in 1823, after the Tsar exiled him from Moscow for his freedom-loving ideas.
The great Russian poet spent thirteen months in the Black Sea town, one of which he spent in the Hotel du Nord. The period he spent in Odesa became one of the most productive periods in Pushkin's life. Here he wrote the poems ‘Gypsies’ and ‘Bakhchisarai Fountain,’ as well as thirty other poems, and two parts of the famous novel ‘Eugene Onegin,’ in which he immortalized his beloved Odesa.
Today, the street on which he lived is named ‘Pushkinskaya’ (Pushkin's), and the house where he stayed has been made into museum named in his honor. You can see in the collection sketches of Odesa when Pushkin was there, portraits of the poet's contemporaries, and rare editions of the man’s works. All exhibits of the museum keep the spirit of the time and the energy of Pushkin himself.